Monday

Moby: Electro's humble hero (for The Music Network)


20 June 2011
by Poppy Reid
He’s been chastised by most everyone for his music and lifestyle; from Eminem to Tism to Russell Crowe, and although Moby arguably scored an epoch with his album’s Play and 18, he’s more than aware of his haters.
When Play achieved worldwide success in 1999, receiving Gold or Platinum status in 26 countries, Moby aka Richard Melville Hall was at his career’s peak. However, along with the fame, came a heavy backlash that only fuelled his strong sense of humility and self-deprecation.
“I thought that I would spend my whole life teaching philosophy at a community college and working at a bookstore and making music in my bedroom that no one else would listen to.”
Now, at 46, Moby has consistently released an album every two to three years; Destroyed is his tenth release and was crafted in the ungodly hours of the morning when his insomnia was in full swing.
“Some musicians when they’re in a hotel room at 3 o’clock in the morning they’re often having crazy parties and doing all sorts of fun things and me, I’m just in my hotel room by myself working on music or reading a book.”
Although he’s suffered from the sleep disorder since the age of 4, divulging this may only validate the public’s assumptions of him as a sterling churchite and all-round goody-goody. Perhaps this has contributed to the sound of Destroyed which, although Moby says is “about the dichotomy between comfort and isolation,” also shows he’s come away from his last record, Wait For Me with more ennui than recognition. “Sometimes isolation can be very seductive and very comforting and other times it can drive you a little bit crazy,” he says.
First single The Day not only reflects the concept behind Destroyed, it’s also the most forthcoming track on the record. Moby touches on the death of his mother who passed away from lung cancer in 1996 and his friend who suffers long and ongoing battles with drug addiction. Interestingly, he created the record as a form of therapeutic, sonic healing which he could call upon in solitary moments.
“When I was writing it I really wanted it to be music that made sense when I listen to it in my car or on a train late at night going through empty cities.”
Despite the fact his latest release is another prototypical Moby record, many are surprised when they hear his eclectic side-projects. Diamondsnake (where he plays heavy metal guitar) and soul six-piece The Little Death have both satiated Moby’s desire to step out from behind the synth table. “It would almost be arbitrarily odd to not allow myself to be affected by different types of music,” he says. Yet he firmly believes his need for a musical mixed bag has stopped him from profiting more from his electro work.
“I know if I wasn’t so eclectic I probably would have sold more records in my life because I think for some people the eclecticism has been very off-putting.
“People come to concerts expecting different things, every now and then at a concert we’ll play some punk rock songs and half the audience will be irritated and baffled that I’m not playing dance music.”
It seems amazing that while some are still openly tongue-lashing Moby with taunts about electro music, others are taking the same stand from the opposite end of the spectrum; but as has always been his style, Moby maintains an amicable humility.
It’s been very surprising, even now to put out a record and get the sense that some people are still willing to listen to the music I make, it’s not what I expected… it’s safe to say that almost every aspect of the career I’ve had has been really unexpected and really surprising.”
Destroyed is out now through EMI Music.

No comments: