Sunday

Alexisonfire: Normal just like you (for The Music Network)

20 December 2010
by Poppy Reid
With a name taken from a lactating contortionist stripper (now prostitute), Canada’s Alexisonfire have made more than an impression on the Australian hardcore scene; and not just because of those sex-worker images you may have in your head right now.
The five-piece were recently in Australia for the second time this year, but this time we’re the first stop on their first headlining tour of album number four, Old Crows/Young Cardinals. TMN sat down with the band’s singer/guitarist Dallas Green at a bar in King’s Cross to discuss his quest to stay normal and keep his fans that way too.
“I’ve had certain instances with people when they get a little too intrusive and I have to be like ‘stop it’,” says Green. “I talk to kids if they get a little too crazy about the fact that they’re meeting me. I’m like ‘listen; it’s not a big deal I’m a normal person just like you. You’re probably better at a tonne of stuff that I can’t do’.”
Green’s definition of normal is a life on tour with his best friends Wade McNeil (rhythm guitar), George Petit (vocals), Chris Steele (bass) and Jordan Hastings (drums). The post-hardcore worshippers have been touring for almost two years, but Green enthuses that “coming to Australia is like being on holiday” for them.
Amidst the normality of their constant touring schedule, the band has even found time to record new material. A four song EP titled Dog’s Blood was released in November. The inspiration for the EP stemmed partly from a desire to make music without rules, their commitment to “never write a concept record” and the fact Green mentioned it to the press before its inception.
“We came up with an idea to make a mish-mash EP, 'cos with EP’s you don’t have to worry about rules. With a record, once you get knee-deep in it, it starts to form itself on the record and certain songs get left off because they don’t fit the mood or the vibe whereas with the EP you can do whatever you want.
“It started as a bit of a joke when we first decided that we were gonna make an EP called Dog’s Blood. I said it in an interview and it got printed and we were like ‘oh geeze, I guess we have to do it.’ So then George wrote the song called Dog’s Blood and here we are,” laughs Green.
Although Dog’s Blood could be seen to have come about in a somewhat haphazard manner, Green is clear on the direction he wants his music to take. The quintet plan to take some time off after this current tour and then Green, having already written fifteen new songs for his solo effort, City and Colour, plans to put the finishing touches on a new release.
“One of my goals in life is to come here and play a City and Colourtour so hopefully I’ll be able to make it down here. It’ll be my first time and I’ll have all three records and I won’t know what to play,” says Green excitedly.
City and Colour (five points if you get the namesake reference) has gained as much acclaim as AOF and with his fan-base continuing to grow, Green wants to make sure they don’t go gaga on him, in fact he’ll hate it of you do.
“I’ll never look at myself as a celebrity or high-profile, I just play guitar and I love it and I sing and I love it, that’s it. There’s nothing that makes me any different or better than anybody and I hate when people either assume that about you or put that on you.”
Green dreams do come true as City and Colour prepare to tour Australia for the first time in April next year, unsurprisingly, tickets to all venues sold out in three days.
See tour dates below.
Tuesday April 5 - Enmore Theatre, Sydney
Thursday April 7 - Palace Theatre, Melbourne
Friday April 8 - Tivoli, Brisbane
Sunday April 10 - HQ, Adelaide
Monday April 11 - Astor Theatre, Perth

No comments: