Wednesday

Alexisonfire: All farewells should be sudden

                                                                         Photography: Vanessa Heins
10 December 2012
by Poppy Reid

When Alexisonfire announced their split in August last year, fans of lactating, contortionist strippers and Canadian hardcore went into mourning, but while most cursed themselves for encouraging linchpin Dallas Green to pursue a solo career, the dichotomy of City and Colour’s success wasn’t wholly to blame.
“The confusion that lies in the whole process about what happened,” says Green down the phone from the US, “was when I left the band, the band didn’t break up. They spent a lot of time deciding whether or not they were going to continue as a four-piece or add another member, or whatever.”
After guitarist/vocalist Wade MacNeil got an offer to front English band Gallows in July 2011, the band accepted their collapse and Green could finally breathe easy. City and Colour interviews and fan interaction underwent a year-and-a-half of white lies and diversions, and for an artist renowned for his blunt honesty and allegiance to his band brothers, the repression was difficult.
“I had been holding the fact that I had left the band in for so long,” he admits. “I had to deal with people finding out that it was me who started the demise of the band. I think that the general response was good because for one, we could talk about it, but it was an interesting period… I sort of twisted [the band’s] arm and forced them into a tough situation, so I can appreciate how they were looking at me-or not at me-at that moment in time.”
With the Australian leg of band’s farewell tour just days away, it’s an awkward feeling to know that their last visit in 2010 was surrounded by tension in the band. “At the time, only ten or twelve people knew that I was leaving the band so we were on the road with all of our friends touring, trying to have a good time and show everybody that we were happy-go-lucky,” says Green. “Meanwhile, every time we played, we knew that we were getting closer to the end, it was hard to celebrate.” The shows were feverish and raw, their onstage brotherhood seemed more devoted than ever; but as Green explains, between each performance came an uncomfortable quiet.
Everyone was really depressed when we were playing that last tour, I think that a lot of that depression had to do with the fact that we weren’t talking about it,” Green considers. “It was really a bummer, but I think it’s good that we didn’t [tell people] because it hadn’t really allowed us to sort of move on with our lives.”
With just fifteen dates and a rightful US snub on their final tour together (“Those people should have come to see us play at any time in the last ten years,” MacNeil told Tone Deaf), Alexisonfire have been marking their ten-year anniversary with the same energy yielded during their embryonic years when they were “five kids who decided to try out this weird style of music and write songs.”
I think everyone is in a wonderful place right now,” says Green sincerely. “Almost back to the beginning in a way, but we don’t have anything to lose or gain from it, it’s more of a twelve-year-old celebration of what we’ve accomplished, which will allow the legacy of our band to live on instead of the hope of that last tour.”
While City and Colour releases reach Gold and Platinum status across the globe, missing the camaraderie within Alexisonfire is only a faint throb. “Even on the worst days we’d still be able to talk to each other and go onstage and put on a great show,” he reminisces. “We’d sort of all forget about it after the show, because of the performance, because of the music, you know?” However, a life that could turn a man into a self-entitled, sycophant-seeking, rock star has only had positive effects on Green, who can thank the band for his “motherly instincts” and accolade acknowledgement.
“In the first few years with those guys, especially in the early years when they were still teenagers and I was at the old ripe age of 21 years old, I definitely had to take on a more responsible role than I thought I’d have to.
“I also think it’s allowed me to develop a sense of appreciation for everything I had accomplished in my life creatively, I had to work from the bottom up. I went through touring in a van where you’d have to sleep in the van - we could never afford a hotel - I had to sleep on people’s floors, things like that, that now whenever something good happens I can look at it and think ‘I earned it’.”
With ten years of nihilistic fervour and poetic anthems for the square-pegged, Alexisonfire won’t be easily forgotten. One could measure their success on the sold-out tours, the myriad independent awards and #1s, or their ARIA chart placings, but for Green, it’s always been about the music’s integrity.
The fact that we went on to make four records, it’s pretty good that it sits how it is, I think that’s far more – that we accomplished – than we had set out to do in the first place.
“To quote a recent comment that I read about myself – Alexisonfire is testament that you don’t have to be attractive to be successful. I’m half joking when I say that,” he leers. “We were just a bunch of weird kids who played this weird sound and people grew attached to that. Hopefully we just inspired that honesty that there is a chance for honesty in popular music, or hardcore music - I wouldn’t call us that popular.”
Green strategically finished his latest City and Colour opus before the tour (“so he could approach it with an open mind”), but while Alexisonfire have released the obligatory anthology collection and a new EP (Death Letter), it would take an ignoramus to not pre-empt and salute their intended parting gift.
“We didn’t start the band so we could become rock stars and make millions of dollars and fly around in private jets,” Green says with his infamous frankness. “I think a lot of band’s probably don’t start off that way but often that’s why they want to get into it, that’s what they deem successful. But with us I mean, we just wanted to play. I still feel that way, I just want to play.”

No comments: